top of page

WSSC Headquarters in Hyattsville: Possible Demolition

The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) Headquarters in Hyattsville may be demolished and replaced with 7 acres of single family homes if plans by a potential developer go through.

The original Art Deco building was constructed in 1939 and designed by local architects Paul H. Kea of Hyattsville and Howard W. Cutler of Silver Spring. Additions were added in 1953, also designed by Kea, and 1964, designed by Walton & Madden. Paul Kea (1886-1968) was one of the first two licensed architects in Maryland and founded the firm Kea, Shaw, Grimm & Crichton, a precursor to today’s Grimm + Parker Architects. Kea's firm built numerous banks, churches, schools and commercial buildings. The WSSC Headquarters is one of his largest commissions, and worthy of preservation. See the WSSC HQ National Register nomination for more on the property. Today the building sits vacant, but located just half a mile from Hyattsville's arts district it is a perfect opportunity for adaptive use.

The developer held a meeting on November 8 for public comment and questions.

The WSSC Headquarters 1939 wing, designed by Paul Kea and Howard Cutler.

This addition was added in 1964.

This addition was added in 1964.




bottom of page